Sunday, February 26, 2012

Bird watching on our street

Growing up in Cameroon, I became an avid birdwatcher, something I more or less dropped in the US, because how exciting is it to get up early on Saturday morning and see the same old cardinals, blue jays, mockingbirds, robins, and starlings (yes, I know, there are other birds, too - but bear with me). I made sure I had the Field Guide to Bird of West Africa in the luggage that came with us on the plane, rather than having to wait for a shipment, and it has been well worth it. Here are just the birds that we've been able to get good pictures of on our street, mostly from our house - this doesn't count those that we see all the time on our street but haven't taken pictures of yet (common garden bulbul, warbling silverbill, bronze mannikin, village weaver, hooded vulture, sunbirds, rock pigeon, house sparrow), or the ones we've seen around town and gotten pictures of (white-breasted cormorant, black kite, pink-backed pelican), or the gray woodpecker I saw a few streets away when I didn't have a camera on me.

Senegal ring-necked parakeet
 Long-tailed glossy starling
 Spur winged plover
 Red-beaked hornbill
Senegal fire finch 
 Senegal parrot 
 Gray plantain eater
Looking forward to getting out of town and to a bird sanctuary at the mouth of the Senegal River with my cousins Jay and Jennie next month!

No comments: