Sunday, October 08, 2006

Agadez 4, or what became of Anoujjab

So, we never found Anoujjab, or Ajjab. Instead we came to the closest previously chosen replacement village, Fagochia, which is on most maps, even though it only has 18 households. We decided to call it a day and do Fagochia. It's a Tuareg village, and the people were so incredibly hospitable.

Here's a shot of me in front of a camel, with a bunch of gorgeous kiddoes. I learned, although I don't have pictoral proof, that you can't ride a camel side saddle. I was in a skirt and couldn't get my leg over the other side of the saddle. Camels do not get up or down evenly. When they sit down, first the front legs fold half way, then the back legs fold all the way, and the front legs fold all the way, tilting crazily, and they are usually making the most horrendous half roaring half moaning sound. Quite a process!
The children in Fagochia were spectacularly beautiful. While the others were mapping, they took me to the chief's wife's tent, where somehow about 20+kids crowded in around me in a tent not more than 12 feet across.
I used the opportunity to take pictures and passed the camera around so they could see their pictures. I also learned my first Tamashek (Tuareg language) word - tanimert - which means thank you.
I passed my camera to one of the Tuareg women and showed her how to take a picture. Got a couple decent shots, too! The necklace I'm wearing is Tuareg made - bought in Agadez.
There were mosquito nets hung in many of the tents. I love this shot of the kids playing underneath the mosquito net!
One of my favorite pictures - I'm not sure why this woman was covering the lower portion of her face as the others were not, but her eyes tell a thousand stories.
One of our surveyors administering the questionaire in the tent, with the guys looking on.
With the chief's wife - she is wearing one of the ornately embroidered outfits in the Agadez market picture, as well as the real indigo head scarf. Guess I needed my head covered, too. I thought she looked so elegant.

No comments: