Friday, April 11, 2008

Johannesburg

For me, the most humane route to and from Angola is through Johannesburg (that's also the way I get the most frequent flier miles). There are no flights that connect well, so you end up spending the night there, but that lets you recuperate from the 19 hour flight from Atlanta via Dakar on the way there, or the headache that is the airport in Luanda, on the way back. And on the way back, the flight to Atlanta doesn't leave until evening, so you have all day. I took advantage of the day there to arrange a trip to a park where they breed white lions. These are genetically autosomal recessives, like yellow labs, NOT a subspecies, as stated by a misleading and therefore irritating nature special I watched about them. Nonetheless, I wanted to see the white lions. :) I thought this was a fun collection of pictures - and there's one picture of a regular lion (they have those too) tossed in. I got to pet a white lion cub, but didn't get a picture on my camera. :(Tourists are boring!What are you looking at?
Tree hugger (actually sharpening claws, but hey)Eagerly awaiting lunch...

No comments: