Monday, April 28, 2008

To Ft. Lauderdale, Florida to meet Ed's parents

The first weekend I was back in the US, Ed and I went down to Florida to meet his parents - we went to the Everglades and took a tour and an airboat ride - here are Ed and his parents all wearing the stylish protective earwear for the airboat ride.
We had a ton of fun - saw a lot of wildlife, and learned a lot from the Micosukee Indian who was our guide on the airboat ride. I got really close to this great blue heron stalking its prey.
And here I am petting a "pet" wild boar that belonged to our guide's family - it was really friendly and rolled over to be scratched like a dog!
The same family had a family of friendly alligators that live in the swamp surrounding their island - this one had been around for over 25 years, came when called, and did a few "tricks" - but at 12 feet, not one I'd want to get too close to!
Ed and I both enjoyed holding some baby alligators!
Ed's parents live in a great place that backs up to a pond and a golf course - here is his brother Warren with the second large mouth bass he caught out of the pond in the space of 15 minutes!
And here is a look down that "large mouth" before releasing it - I like new perspectives. :)
And Ed and I - oh, and I forgot to mention that we also got to go parasailing, which is so much fun to do with someone you love! I'd been wanting to since I first parasailed 6 years ago! (The Florida sun is tough to squint into!) We had a terrific weekend, and I had a lot of fun getting to know his parents. We ate extremely well (that's what the treadmill is for), packed a lot of chatting into a long weekend, and had a great time wild life watching off the back porch. Can't wait to go back!


No comments: