Monday, January 08, 2007

Christmas in Seattle

For Christmas, I flew up to Seattle to spend time with the Thwing family. I'm very close to my cousin Jennie, who is 6 weeks younger than me. Her dad is my dad's older brother, and I have spent Christmas with them almost every year since my parents went back to Cameroon. This is brunch on Christmas morning with Uncle Ted, Jennie, her husband Jay, Aunt Cathy, my cousin (Jennie's brother) Andrew and his wife, Christy. It's always delicious!


Stocking and Christmas present time! I think Jennie and I have a picture of us just like this at age 2, and for a good many of the years in between!



Jay "wearing" the tree skirt - you know, when you're six foot four, no one can make fun of your clothes!


Later in the afternoon, the extended Thwing family comes over for our family Christmas celebration. This is my grandma - it's such a treat to spend time with her!


After a great dinner, we play our own version of a white elephant gift exchange (although the presents are actually nice), which gets very funny and occasionally rowdy! Here are some aunts and uncles enjoying a good laugh.

After presents, we always have Jesus' birthday cake - one candle for every family member and guest - some guests become permanent family members (this year, we had a third Christmas engagement announcement) and some last a year or two, but everyone gets a candle. It takes longer and longer to light! And the youngest - this year Payson - gets to blow them out!


Merry Christmas!

No comments: