Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Pre-Christmas

December was unseasonably warm, even for Atlanta - we had multiple 70 degree days - I took myself to the zoo on a particularly gorgeous Saturday afternoon. I love the gorillas!
Sapna and I got a Christmas tree and had the "ashram" over to decorate - this is Vishnu, who came from India this year to marry my friend Nandini, decorating his first Christmas tree!

Class Christmas party - any excuse to wear a little black dress, right?

I actually also got a lot of work done in December - we finally finished the analysis of the Niger data, and I spent a lot of time on the final report, both written and power point, which I had the opportunity to give for some visiting representatives of the Canadian Red Cross, who had funded the bednet distribution. I'm also working on getting a study for the coming year in Kenya off the ground, as well as hounding the states to get their last few reports of malaria in for 2005 so I can start working on the 2005 domestic malaria summary. There's an annual summary of all the cases of malaria treated in the US that the first year EIS officer does - and this year, that's me! I've been telling people I'm giving birth to triplets - trying to juggle all the projects and keep them all going forward.
I flew to Dallas for my former roommate's (Aruna) official engagement ceremony. It's a pretty long ritual, involving the whole family - I think you must feel very engaged after it's all over! This is the whole family gathered around to take part....


And the beautiful couple - those wreaths around their necks weigh a ton!


Being in Dallas all weekend allowed me to hang out with my little sis and catch up with some extended family. My Grandpa Will has had a rough patch lately and is now in a rehab hospital, so I went with my Grandma to visit him. He's looking pretty good for his 90s, eh?


My mom's youngest sister Gayle was in from Arizona, so I got to spend some time with her. In the picture are: my cousin Jodi, my aunt Gayle, my sister Laura, me, my Aunt Jeri, and my Uncle Rick. I hadn't gotten to see them in awhile, so it was a special treat!









No comments: