Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Zanzibar

I'm going to combine my two Zanzibar weekends into one blog entry - it was just fabulous and I'm so glad I got to go. Zanzibar is a two hour "speed-ferry" ride from Dar Es Salaam. I stayed in a cute little hotel called the Shangani Hotel (http://www.shanganihotel.com/).
So, Zanzibar is probably most famous for spices, although most spices grown there are now consumed locally (yum!) and cloves are the main export crop. You can take a spice tour and see the spices grown - cardamom, turmeric, cloves, cinnamon, etc - these are nutmeg and mace, part of the same fruit.
Zanzibar is also probably the most famous and influential of the islands on the Swahili Coast, and was actually part of the Oman Empire, and was governed by the Sultans of Oman. The culture is a mix of African, Arab, and Indian, as is the architecture. The carved doors are exquisite!
Dhows - these traditional sailboats with characteristic triangular sails, were once used to sail up and down the coasts for trade from India to Arabia and down the east coast of Africa.
I was most excited to go snorkeling! My snorkel and mask had been used in the Caribbean and Pacific, and now got to see the Indian (yes, I take my own mask and snorkel with me anywhere there's a coast line).

Absolutely perfect water!!


I went on a dolphin tour where they take you out on a boat to look for the pods of dolphins that swin around the south tip of the island, and then let you get in the water. Very cool!The thing that amused me most was that crabs swim - they look like they're waving to you - I thought they were quite funny little things!I went on a couple trips that were just to snorkel, and I'm figuring out how to use the waterproof camera. There were some pretty amazing fish! These blue tangs should look familiar to any "Finding Nemo" fan.There is a forest preserve in the center of the island called Jozani, that houses many of the islands Red Colobus monkeys, a species that exists only only on Zanzibar. These are extremely tolerant of humans and practically ignore you.All in all, two wonderful weekends!!!

No comments: