Sunday, July 09, 2006

Settling in Atlanta

My new apartment in Atlanta is very spacious and has a very open lay out with a great kitchen - here is Rocky exploring the kitchen.


Samir and his wife Vidhya, Nandini (and when he arrives from India, her husband), Sapna, and I all decided to live in the same complex. We have been jokingly calling it our ashram. The first few days, we used Samir's GPS to explore dinner and dessert options. This was after particularly yummy ice cream (Samir, me, and Sapna). Samir is in diarrheal diseases and just finished a med-peds residency, and Sapna is in refugee health and just finished an infectious disease fellowship. Nandini (not pictured here) has an epidemiology PhD and is in STDs.


One of our classmates got in and settled early, so had a party the Saturday night before classes started. He's got a gorgeous place! Below are my roommate Sapna, Italia, me, and Samir.


The first week of EIS has been pretty much all administrative stuff - basically, working for the government 101. The director of the CDC spoke to us on Thursday, which was interesting. Friday, we did a team building day, which was an incredible opportunity to get to know each other (and ourselves) better.One aspect was the climbing wall - I have always assumed I couldn't climb, but this wall had some ropes and some of the holds had a slight lip - I got all the way to the top, which absolutely astounded me, so I did it two more times! In the picture above, I'm the one in red.

Out to dinner with several EIS classmates - these are Phil and Nick.

No comments: