Monday, December 10, 2007

After the dedication

After the dedication ceremony was a feast to top all feasts! What a treat!My dad is clearly excited about his plateAnd here's my plate - it may look different to you, but it was very good. (Bibiane was in charge of cooking - how could it not be?)After the feast, we had just enough time to run down to the Likini and back. The Likini is a stream with a set of beautiful waterfalls that we used to hike down (2 miles) to with picnic lunch, a hammock, and swimsuits. So many fun memories. My dad and I hightailed it down with two Vute friends, and got back just before dark.The grass is so tall you have to walk with your arms in front of your face for protection. Yes, this is the path.My dad and I sitting on a log beside the falls. Absolutely beautiful, eh? And the water is so fresh and cold!That night, dinner was at the mayor's house, and was very fancy. The man my parents are talking to is the new director of the jail, and the head of the district of Yoko and his wife are in the upper right hand corner of the picture.You might wonder where so many foreigners stayed in a small village. There are two little "auberges", like hostels, that are pretty good, and we stayed in a private house, owned by a Madame Mbiatta, whose husband was very high up in the president's political party before he died. The house is quite nice!We left to go back to Yaounde early on Monday, but had to stop by and say goodbye to Bibiane again.Yoko looks much the same as it did when I saw it as a 10 year old in 1985, as a 20 year old in 1996, and as a 32 year old in 2007. I hope I get back to see it again before I'm 40!




No comments: