Monday, December 10, 2007

Campaign Monitoring

For each health post we visited, numerous forms had to be filled out. I had charge of most of them for my team, and with the help of Aimee, the National Malarial Control Program, representative, grilled the health workers. :) Though people who are educated are educated in French, many still struggle with it, and Malagasy is easier for them. Here I am in my official campaign hat (too big, I know) chatting with one of the health care workers (about the order of the interventions - hard to get a child to take worm medicine after they are screaming from the vaccine). Many of the district and regional health personnel were out supervising the posts under their care as well. The man on the far left in this picture is the DRS, or regional health superintendent for Menabe. We ran into him on the road and had an impromptu conference.I also had some computer based forms I needed to fill out for each district. Here I'm working on one of the them with one of the district superintendents (and Aimee).In a few villages, we did small house to house surveys to see if the kids in fact all gotten what they were supposed to - this was hot, tiring work, but a lot of fun.The man in the foreground is the Red Cross Volunteer who accompanied us. This particular village was probably the most primitive and socioeconomically depressed I have ever seen. This particular woman (in the center of the picture), a good bit younger than me, has six children, 5 of whom are under 5 years.Aimee and I administering our household questionnaire (I'm a good scribe).
Net hung up in a hut
Cleaning fish caught in the local pond
The people of this area, the Sakalava have several cultural distinctives, one of which is that the women put this orange/yellow material on their faces. It's ground bark of a certain tree - and is thought to be decorative as well as good for the skin.
The second village was considerably better off - with healthier, better-spaced kids, less fatigued and scrawny women, and better organized in general. I was quite impressed!

Eating lunch with the family

Drawing water from the well

What a gorgeous gal!

No comments: